Number of Positions
1 per year
Minimum 6 months, Maximum 1 year
Unity Health Toronto, St. Joseph’s Health Centre
This fellowship represents the opportunity for wide exposure to a subspecialty shoulder and upper extremity surgical practice, allowing the fellow to become familiar with both arthroscopic and open upper extremity reconstructive surgery of the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand. The main educational site will be Unity Health Toronto, St. Joseph’s Health Centre site. The fellow’s responsibilities will include assessment of emergency, ward, and fracture clinic patients, observation of office and specialty clinic evaluations, and assistance in the operating room. A minimal amount of time will be allocated to teach on-service surgical residents about general orthopaedic and specific upper extremity topics of interest. On-call responsibilities will be performed with the supervisor and are not burdensome (currently 1 in 6 home call). Spare time will be used to read about observed cases, prepare presentations for rounds and complete a research project.
Goals and Objectives
This clinical fellowship position is designed to give the applicant enhanced clinical expertise in the following areas:
- Develop strong knowledge and understanding of common disease processes of the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand, including but not limited to; osteo-arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, instability, tendinopathy, trauma, and compressive neuropathy.
- Demonstrate the ability to take a relevant history, perform a focused physical examination and establish a reasonable differential diagnosis
- Demonstrate the ability to order appropriate tests to confirm the diagnosis, propose an acceptable treatment plan incorporating both non-operative and operative modalities, and arrange follow-up with appropriate physical rehabilitation.
- Demonstrate the ability to diagnose and treat possible complications
- Gain experience in the technical skills associated with the surgical management of shoulder and upper extremity conditions including, but not limited to; joint replacement arthroplasty, open and arthroscopic surgical reconstruction, stabilization, debridement, tendon release, joint arthrodesis and peripheral nerve decompression and/or transposition
- Complete a minimum of one clinical or basic science research project and prepare it for presentation and/or publication
Andreia Carvalho, Administrative Assistant
27 Roncesvalles Avenue #504
Toronto, Ontario M6R 3B2
Tel: 416 530-0400
Fax: 416 530-0692